
If there was one thing I wished my seniors had told me before I started my Master's, it would be that my social circle would be significantly reduced in size, and that I would lose more than 90% of my friends. But too bad, I had already hopped into the boat, so to speak, when I realized that. And what was even worse was that there wasn't anything I could do about it.
When we were doing our first degree in school, there was a whole classroom of us. We had classmates. And we had roommates. And if we didn't clicked enough with our classmates and/or roommates, we could always join other students from other classes. We could go out for lunch, dinner and supper with different groups of people. We had friends.
But upon graduation, the majority of us went back to where we came from and started looking for jobs. Many found jobs relevant to the degree they obtained, but that's another story for another day. For the most part, a lot of us found a job, settled down, and some even started a family! Out of a class of perhaps 40 students, only about 3-5 students decided to pursue a further degree. I need to mention that my school is a small school, with a total student enrollment of about 4,000.
I am not so much a social butterfly, but I do wish that I have more friends than I actually do. I don't like to eat alone but I don't seem to have a choice. One of my roommates is an undergrad (about 6 years my junior) and she hangs out with her bunch of friends, people whom I think are too young to be my friends. The other roommate, who is only 2-3 years my junior, always hangs out with her boyfriend and there's really no room I could squeeze myself into the picture.
These days, I hang out with a grad student 3 years my junior who happens to like to hang out with people older then herself, LOL. But because this junior is quite a social butterfly herself, she doesn't always have time for me--but I'm thankful for her, at least I am not totally friend-less.
If you are a graduate student, who do you hang out with? Do you hang out with fellow grad students, or do you hang out with undergrads? Or God forbids, professors? :)

0 comments:
Post a Comment